District Health Services FAQs - Families

    How does a Health Assistant help my child during the school day?

    Health Assistants are Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certified staff members that work closely with the District Nurse. They provide first aid, tend to ill students, manage chronic health conditions, administer medications, maintain student immunization records and respond to emergencies. They schedule and assist with vision screenings and flu clinics. Health Assistants also recognize when a student may be struggling and refer them to a counselor if needed.

    My child has a fever. When can they return to school?

    Children should be fever free for at least 24 hours without the use of any fever-reducing medications (tylenol, ibuprofen) before returning to school.

    My child requires daily medication. How do I arrange for them to take the medication at school?

    Parents must fill out a medication authorization form to authorize Health Office staff to administer medications to their child during the school day. The forms are kept in the main office of each school building and they’re also available online. For non-prescription medications, the parent/guardian must fill out the non-prescription authorization form and provide the school with the medication in its original container. The medication must list the dose the child requires for their age/weight. For example, if a 10 year old child needs Ibuprofen, you cannot supply Ibuprofen that lists it’s for individuals that are 12 years and older. 

    For prescription medications, parents must fill out the form as well as the prescribing provider. The form should be thorough and complete, listing exact orders for administration. The medication provided needs to be in its original container with the prescription label attached and it should not be expired.

    Medications should never be sent to school with your child. Parents should always drop medications off in the main office.

    I supplied medication for my child to have at school - what happens to the medication at the end of the school year?

    Parents should pick up their child’s medications at the end of the school year. All medications will be in the main office ready for pick up for the week after school ends. After that time, all medications left in the main office will be disposed of properly. Health Office staff will send reminders home about medication pick up before the end of the school year.

    How can I prepare my child for Kindergarten?

    During the summer before your child starts kindergarten, they should have a wellness visit with their primary care physician. At this appointment, your child can get all caught up on their immunizations and you can request that your child’s doctor fill out any forms they may need for school - allergies, medications, how to manage medical conditions, etc. Your child should also have a complete eye exam done before they enter kindergarten.

    What immunizations does my child need?

    All students should be caught up on their immunizations prior to entering kindergarten. They need DTaP, MMR, Varicella, Polio, and Hepatitis B immunizations. If your child will not receive the required immunizations due to religious/personal/medical reasons, the parent/guardian must sign the waiver portion of the Student Immunization Record for the school to keep on file. This form can be found online or in the main office of the school buildings. 

    If your child is not caught up on immunizations by the 30th school day, they will be excluded from school until they receive the required immunizations or until the parent/guardian signs the waiver portion of the Student Immunization Record.

    Where can my child go to receive immunizations?

    There are a few clinics in and near Ashland where your child can go for wellness visits and immunizations:

    • Northlake Clinic
      • 715-685-2200
    • Chequamegon Clinic
      • 715-685-6500
    • Essentia Health
      • 715-685-7500
    • Bad River Health and Wellness Center
      • 715-682-7133
    • Red Cliff Community Health Center
      • 715-779-3707

    My child cannot have dairy - can they have a dairy substitute?

    Your child can be provided with a dairy-free alternative at lunch once the parent/guardian and the child’s primary care provider fill out the Special Dietary Restriction Form. You can get this form from the Health Assistant at your child’s school.

    What do I do if my child has food allergies?

    If your child has food allergies, please inform the Health Assistant at your child’s school. It’s recommended that your child’s primary care physician completes an Allergy and Anaphylaxis plan to have on file at school. You may also provide Benadryl and an EpiPen to be kept in the Health Office in the event your child may need these. Parents should also have the child’s primary care provider complete a special dietary form and you can get this from the health assistant.

    My child is prescribed an EpiPen. Do I need to provide the school with an EpiPen?

    While the school does have stock Epinephrine in each Health Office, the stock Epinephrine does not leave school grounds. If your child has an allergy that may require Epinephrine, parents should provide the child’s own epinephrine for field trips. Parents and the prescribing provider must fill out the Prescription Authorization Form before school staff can administer the child’s EpiPen.

    What is the protocol if my child has head lice?

    If live bugs are found, your child can finish the school day but should be treated for head lice prior to returning to school the following day.  Your child should not ride the bus to school the next day. The parent/guardian should drive the child to school and the Health Assistant should check their head for live bugs before allowing them to be in school. We do not have a No Nit Policy so children can be in school even if they have nits (head lice eggs) in their hair. 

    Practices that are no longer used by the district are communication to parents of all students in the classroom when a student has head lice or head lice checks for all students in a classroom.

    Can my child go to school if they have Pink Eye?

    They can remain in school unless they are too distracted by the pink eye to participate in class. Pink Eye can be very bothersome but may also not bother others. Most cases of pink eye are viral and do not require medication to treat, it just has to run its course. Teach your child to avoid touching the affected eye and to wash their hands often. It’s recommended that your child be examined by a doctor in case the pink eye requires antibiotic treatment.

    My child has strep throat. When can they return to school? 

    If diagnosed with strep throat, your child may return to school 24 hours after the initiation of appropriate antibiotics and when fever free for at least 24 hours.

    What is the protocol if my child has pinworms?

    There is no exclusion criteria for children diagnosed with pinworms - this means they may stay in school. Teach your child to refrain from scratching their bottom and have them wash their hands often - especially after using the bathroom and before meals.

    What is the protocol for Hand-foot-and-mouth Disease?

    There is no exclusion criteria for students with Hand-foot-and-mouth Disease unless they have a fever or cannot maintain hygiene and avoid close contacts with others. For younger students (K4 and KG), they may struggle with avoiding close contact with others, keeping their fingers out of their mouth/nose, etc, so they may need to go home until symptoms improve.

    What is the protocol if my child tests positive for Covid-19? 

    The School District of Ashland no longer has Covid protocols in place. CDC guidance has been updated and a five day isolation period is no longer recommended. Nobody is required to test for Covid-19 or required to mask. If a household member tests positive for Covid-19, the children in the household can still go to school. 

    Individuals should stay home from school when experiencing symptoms of illness. They can return when symptoms are improving and they can make it through the school day. If a fever was present, they should be fever free for at least 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medications before returning to school.

    My child has a medical condition. What does the school need to care for my child during the school day?

    Please inform the Health Office staff at your child’s school of any medical conditions your child has. Health Office staff may need to meet with you and your child before school starts and your child’s doctor may need to fill out some forms to ensure your child’s health and well-being during the school day.